[Live-demo] What data should be included on the LiveDVD & Postgres installer

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Tue Sep 15 11:44:05 PDT 2009

Cameron Shorter wrote:
> live dvd package owners:
>
> It seems that in running the automated scripts, that Postgres has not
> been populated with data again.
> Which brings me to the question:
>
> 1. What dataset(s) do applications want on the LiveDVD and installed
> into Postgres.
>
> Ideally, I want to have one basic (and small) dataset that everyone
> uses, then projects can optionally add larger datasets.
>
> GeoData community, we are flat out building the LiveDVD to be handed out
> at FOSS4G. You may be able to offer advice on the data we should install
> on it.
>
> And lastly,
> I'm looking for a volunteer to write part, or all of an installer script
> for getting data into postgres.
> Something like:
> install_basic_geodata.sh
>
> You can see examples at:
> https://svn.osgeo.org/osgeo/livedvd/gisvm/trunk/bin/
> in particular:
> https://svn.osgeo.org/osgeo/livedvd/gisvm/trunk/bin/install_postgres.sh
>
> If someone familiar with installing postgres data could write a
> skeleton, and email to this live-demo list, and either check into svn,
> or email to this demo list, then that would be a great start.

Just need someone with the sample data to import it into Postgres and
then do some SQL dumps. These .sql files can then be run on the command
line with psql and would build and populate the tables.

That's the safe way to do it since importing from shp and other formats
may be more likely to an error that needs human intervention.