[Live-demo] ISO go/no go

Jody Garnett jody.garnett at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 02:30:31 PDT 2009

Evening; I going through with an actual burned copy of the ISO; trying
to do a final check before things were sent to the printers.

Good news:
- the cover looks good
- the background looks great!

Can someone provide an instruction list for the outside cover - at the
user name prompt we were unsure what to type.
1.	Insert DVD
2.	Reboot system
3.	When prompted , hit Enter to start DVD
4.     Wait
5      Login - wait for the "user user" countdown from 30...0 in order to login

Found instructions in the "Help" icon - did not match my experience ...

LOGIN
HUGE font for user login (60 point or so; you can only see the outline
of the bottom of the letter in the provided field

General:
- Does not support Right click on Mac
- "Start Mapni..." icon looks like it will shut off the machine

QuantumGIS
- Quantum GIS boot screen and menu bars use the same 60 point font -
rendering app unusable (literally the application displays the word
"File" for 1/2 the screen)

Geoserver
- Geoserver Start button works (need shows up as "tart GeoSe.." on the
desktop) and opens up the welcome page at http://local host:8082"
- Any of the other links from this page (WMS capabilities, demo page,
etc... result in “Offline mode” – Fire Fox is currently offline and
can’t browse the  web"\

Okay I have the answer to the puzzle! If I clear the cache in firefox
even the geoserver welcome page does not work; so it looks like fire
fox is not going to let me browse localhost without being able to be
online? Trying to connect to wireless to see if it makes things
better.

Going back to try things when connected to wireless:
- geoserver now works
- mapserver now works
- deegree did not work

GeoKettle
- started

Start mapni..
- started up; was able to follow the instructions
- first time firefox opens it goes into offline mode and prevents the
opening of the page
- unchecking offline mode; and asking it to try again let me see the
service and view the first tile

Kosmo
- nice splash screen again
- it took me forever to navigate to /usr/local/share or whatever it
was because I needed to double click on a trackpad - hitting enter
would not work as with other file system dialogs
- I could add countries.shp udig_data did not render not sure why
(zooming to extent etc had no effect)
- I could not add clouds.jpg from udig_data got an "Error Loading
Data" dialog with message "a
/usr/local/share/udig-data/udig-v1_2/clouds.jpg - null"

Deegree
- fire fox offline trick did not work; resulting in a "firefox cannot
establish a connection to the server at localhost:8081" (after going
through the usual fire fox offline issue)

It saved me tones of time finding the application in the Application
menu rather then the desktop (no visial feedback when launching from
the desktop combined with double clicking on a trackpad resulted in
many failed attempts to launch)

Postgres / PgAdmin
- works
- was able to render sydney roads from udig

That is it I have 2 mins of laptop batery left ... if we can talk over
what to do on the email list here (maybe put the notes above into
trac?).

Asking admin here....

Apparently it would be "awesome" if another ISO could be produced, as
they don't want to produce 1000 copies of something that is unsable.

jody

OpenJump works fine
- (had a hard time rembering where the demo data is in
/usr/local/share/local/udig-data or something .. can we add this
information to the Passwords readme?)

gvSig
- nice splash screen
- looked in /usr/local/share/gvsig for sample data and did not find anything
- displays udig-data countries and cloud.jpg just fine

MapServer
- first demo MapServer Itasca Application (ms v5.4)
-- first map works
- second map "Adds second scalebar" does not work

Grass