[Live-demo] ISO go/no go

Jody Garnett jody.garnett at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 06:12:53 PDT 2009

>> user name prompt we were unsure what to type.
>> 1.    Insert DVD
>> 2.    Reboot system
>
> too wordy/complicated to suggest adjusting BIOS boot order
> if needed?

Could be needed; we failed to get one machine at work to start up from
the dvd - even after checking the bios settings. The mac had some
magic preference page thing to reboot to the dvd.

>> 3.    When prompted , hit Enter to start DVD
>> 4.     Wait
>> 5      Login - wait for the "user user"
>> countdown from 30...0 in order to login
>
> I think it's only 30 sec if you touch it, otherwise it's 8-10 sec.

The prompt is just funny "User user" etc... um is there *any* correct
answer to the prompt?

>> Found instructions in the "Help" icon - did not match my
>> experience ...
>
> This is remastersys voodoo for another day I am afraid.

that is fine.

> I think a lot of this stuff might be xubuntu/remastersys issues
> that we can't do much about immediately ...
>
>> LOGIN
>> HUGE font for user login (60 point or so; you can only see
>> the outline of the bottom of the letter in the provided field
>
> looks 100% pretty for me. ?

This was only on an apple macbook - maybe it is a problem with a high
resolution screen?

> Hardly something to put on the disc cover! Probably just cheap
> DELL video card or something. shrug, only happened once.
>
>> General:
>> - Does not support Right click on Mac
> probably little we can do about hardware autodetect / drivers.

Agreed; however it is doing something - when I click with two fingers;
or place two finders on the trackpad it is not registered so something
is going on.

>> - "Start Mapni..." icon looks like it will shut off the
>> machine
> Perhaps there's a green checkmark or something better?

Does the project have a logo?

>> in firefox even the geoserver welcome page does not work;
>> so it looks like fire fox is not going to let me browse
>> localhost without being able to be online? Trying to connect
>> to wireless to see if it makes things better.
>
> there was the issue with one of them that Cameron found where
> it only worked the second time you tried it. But then there
> was a zombie Java process found by "pgrep java". Killing all
> those it then continued to work. Something, somewhere, needed
> initializing... ?

>> Going back to try things when connected to wireless:
> so wireless works for you out-of-the-box? Great news!

No it fails; but when I have it turned on it prompted me for the
connection message; then I could hit cancel; and in that window the
web page would work; until the next failure....

Turning off networking (when I was on a computer with a right mouse
button) solved the problem and let me work. Also actually connecting
to wireless (which I was able to do on a thinkpad) solved the problem.

In the inbetween - were networking is turn on - but the wireless
settings are not working - is where firefox dumps into offline mode
constantly even when connecting to localhost.

>> - unchecking offline mode; and asking it to try again let
>> me see the service and view the first tile
>
> how does the little network button look in the top right of
> the top toolbar next to the clock? DHCP auto-setting a proxy
> server or something weird that it might be picking up?

I cannot check right now sorry.

>> - I could not add clouds.jpg from udig_data got an "Error
>> /usr/local/share/udig-data/udig-v1_2/clouds.jpg - null"
>
> maybe a premissions problem? can anyone else reproduce it?

I could not reproduce this problem when I tried on thinkpad. And I
figured out how to turn layers on so they were visible. Let us assume
it is an application problem when the map has no visible layers.

>> Asking admin here....
>>
>> Apparently it would be "awesome" if another ISO could be
>> produced, as they don't want to produce 1000 copies of
>> something that is unsable.
>
> are there any of these that we can reasonably solve in the
> next X hours? anyone see the same or is it unlucky hardware
> compatibility?
>
> uDig sample data access sounds like it needs to be verified.

uDig sample data was fine; it worked in udig, gvSig, qgis (when I
could use qgis on the thinkpad) and so on. It is just the location
that confused me.

Cheers,
Jody