[Live-demo] please avoid storing huge files in SVN

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Sat Apr 3 13:38:28 PDT 2010

Hamish wrote:
> Cameron wrote:
>
>> I would like to be able to have versions of big images like
>> cd-covers or desktop backgrounds.
>> We all will be updating these files, and I'm sure there
>> will be times when we want to roll back to prior versions,
>> or find out who changed a version, so that we can talk with
>> them and understand their motives, or similar.
>>

> no argument with that, but 68mb photoshop files do sting a bit.
> especially because the local svn checkout keeps two copies of
> it. (one for diffs is held in .svn/)
> They take up precious dvd space and at least for me with my
> might-as-well-be dial-up bandwidth limitations makes a full
> `svn up` unusable.

Understood. I'm happy if you want to move or remove these large source
files.
> fwiw, I'd prefer if we could keep with oodraw, inkscape, gimp
> formats for the graphics sources.

I agree. I'm trying to educate LISAsoft's graphic artist (who grew up on
photoshop), to convert his files to something gimp friendly, but he
stumped me when asking how he could store his files as CMYK instead of
RGB format. (CMYK is prefered by printers as it takes colour away from
white, as opposed to RGB which adds color to to black.

>> It is possible we should be considering moving to some
>> project hosting infrastructure, like google code or
>> sourceforge in order to get the disk space we require.
>>

> I'd really rather avoid fragmentation if we can. I don't know
> about google code but I do know that SF frowns on massive file
> dumps. Releasing files there is also a 1 way door, you can't
> remove or clean them up them later, only issue an update.
>
> anyway, Alex is doing a great job sorting out the new download
> server and things should be well clear once July/August rolls
> around. In a pinch Frank has offered us whatever space we need
> on his server space as well, but I don't think we'll need it.

Sure, I'm happy to stick with what we have for the moment. It is working
for us so far.