[Live-demo] feedback for WPS documentation on OSGeoLive

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Fri Aug 20 12:58:39 PDT 2010

Hi Bastian,
I'm afraid you comments are too late for this year's 4.0 release, which
I understand has already been sent to the printers.

However, I would like to see your comments rolled into future versions.

I was delighted to see the OGC join us in providing "OGC standards
descriptions for the lay-person" for this release.
It has been the first time we have done this, and consequently there is
sure to be many improvements we can make.

I'm CCing your comments to Lance and Steve who drove the documentation
from the OGC end.

Lance, I'd be interested to hear thoughts on how you would like to
receive feedback for your documentation, like this from Bastian.

On 20/08/10 21:46, Bastian Schäffer wrote:
>   List,
>
> I am probably too late but the last time I checked the WPS documentation:
> http://download.osgeo.org/livedvd/4.0-rc6/osgeolive-docs/standards/wps_overview.html
>
> the figure was not there.
>
> I am a bit unhappy about 2 things:
> 1. The first sentence:
> "The WPS standard provides rules for standardizing inputs and outputs
> (requests and responses) for geospatial processing services, such as
> polygon overlays and their inputs and outputs."
> A WPS is more than just rules for inputs and outputs. The sentence below
> the figure describes it much better. Could we remove the first sentence.
>
> 2. The figure
> It looks bit confusing with all these arrows. Besides it is pretty
> unclear what red (non OGC?) green and light green boxes mean. Besides,
> "KML" is not a portrayal "service" but an encoding to my understanding.
> The added value of this figure is a bit unclear to me (to just have
> figure?).
> The sentence in that figure is similar to 1.
> The figure also have has a number in the lower right corner. Looks like
> a screenshot from a ppt.
> Could we remove that figure or generalize it to have only "well-known"
> standard in there (WMS etc, no transducerML and similar).
>

> Regards,
> Bastian Schäffer
>

> Am 06.08.2010 07:56, schrieb Cameron Shorter:
>
>> I've categorised all projects in a documentation jump page here:
>>
>> http://download.osgeo.org/livedvd/4.0-rc6/osgeolive-docs/overview/overview.html
>>

>> Could all projects check to ensure you are comfortable with the
>> categorisation.
>>
>> I'm intending now to deprecate the previous jump page:
>> http://download.osgeo.org/livedvd/4.0-rc6/osgeolive-docs/content.html
>>
>> Hamish, can you please check these doc categories against the desktop
>> categories and see what you can do about lining them up.
>> Jason Birch has just noted at irc//freenode.net#osgeolive that
>> MapGuide should be in the Server category.

Geospatial Director