[Live-demo] docs ready for the website

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 22 01:47:53 PDT 2010

> Copying docs for review now:
>
>  http://download.osgeo.org/livedvd/doc-dev/

oh, that is all nice & good, and I'm happy to have that download.html
page in place of a redirect page. I was on another wavelength, what I was
sort of not getting at was we haven't seen all the fixes to the main docs
build since way back at rc7, so it might be nice to see the entire finished
product posted online for final review.

minor comments on the download page:

* once posted we can make the "osgeo-live-4.0.iso" etc text into a direct
URL to save a click. (I hope the first version of the ISO posted will be
4.0.1 actually, with the hand-edited fixes)

* uppercase mac and windows.

* "osgeo-live-mini-4.0.iso: 3.2 Gig Same as osgeo-live-4.0.iso"
  if you make it "Same as above" you can save yourself the trouble of
  maintaining it next time. (these things add up)

* "this release .. contains:" ... I'm sure there's a better word than
  contains, but I can't think of what it could be.

* "copied onto a 4 Gig bootable USB thumb drive."
  sort of sounds like the user needs to buy a special usb stick.
  again, I hesitate to even mention it as I don't have a better idea
  and it's so minor.

* "ready to be loaded into a virtual machine like VirtualBox or VMWare
   Player."
  .. don't forget Qemu-KVM too :)

fwiw I don't think there's much point to exposing the rc2 build log etc
dirs on the main download page, just go straight to the current ISOs.
For archive releases have a small "previous versions" link somewhere at
the bottom of the page... ?

franticly getting ready to head out to sea,
Hamish