[Live-demo] Language support for the Live Project

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 6 04:54:17 PST 2010

Alex wrote:
> Adding 18 language packs took about 129 MB but I'm not sure
> if the gnome language packs are needed too or the spelling
> dictionaries.
> Of course picking which languages to support is now the real
> challenge. So far I went directly with a list off wikipedia
> of the most # of speakers in the world. I went all the way to
> 20 but a few of them don't have language packs in Ubuntu.

It is just one project, but fwiw here are the stats for GRASS:
http://grass.osgeo.org/devel/i18n.php#statistics

and I'd be more than happy to find 50mb of sample data to get rid
of in my scripts if it meant that another language or two could
be supported.

how are we doing for space anyway? if we are aiming to fit on
a 4gig USB stick we should probably not have the live ISO exceed
about 3.0gb. The USB stick method I tried forces you to format
the main partition as vfat, so you lose about 300mb of that 4gb
in overheads. So the end-user would have ~ 700mb of workspace
left to play with.

and of course there are other left over packages which still can
be cleaned up.

Hamish