[Live-demo] Language support for the Live Project

Oscar Fonts oscar.fonts.lists at gmail.com
Sun Feb 7 01:04:52 PST 2010

In the Spanish Language chapter there is people asking what can they
do to help with FOSS4G.
And we did some translation efforts time ago. There is a wiki page
with OSGeo projects and its translation status:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/OSGeo_Spanish_Translation

Oscar.

2010/2/7 Alex Mandel <tech_dev at wildintellect.com>:
> All the language options I listed are available for the system (Xubuntu
> menus etc). Anyone have a little time to cross reference the list with
> project translation lists.
>
> I agree for our documentation that Spanish would be a good start, and
> I'm not really concerned about it for this release. Next release we can
> really focus on getting all the docs translated as a major feature
> (Since the rate of new software should be slowing).
>
> Thanks,
> Alex
>
> Cameron Shorter wrote:
>> Regarding picking languages for the LiveDVD,
>>
>> My suggestion is that we include the languages for which there are
>> translations in the packages, and the live DVD.
>>
>> I have a list of OSGeo translators from FOSS4G who I can ask for help
>> from, once we have decided what should be translated.
>>
>> As FOSS4G is in Spain this year, I think we should start with Spanish.
>>
>> I think this release 3.0 we should consider translations experimental
>> (mainly because our documentation is pretty crappy in English and needs
>> be cleaned up before we put in huge efforts into translation). So it
>> would probably be wise to only focus on one language initially, unless
>> one of our translators is prepared to burn lots of time.
>>
>> Alex Mandel wrote:
>>> So I've managed to get language packs installed. Oddly while the menu
>>> titles in xfce-panel don't seem to change the menu in them is definately
>>> in the correct language based on login (I've tested QGIS with German and
>>> Spanish so far).
>>>
>>> Adding 18 language packs took about 129 MB but I'm not sure if the gnome
>>> language packs are needed too or the spelling dictionaries. Of course
>>> picking which languages to support is now the real challenge. So far I
>>> went directly with a list off wikipedia of the most # of speakers in the
>>> world. I went all the way to 20 but a few of them don't have language
>>> packs in Ubuntu.
>>>
>>> This list long term should lead us towards finding translators for our
>>> help files and all the apps (assuming they aren't already translated).
>>>
>>> There seem to be 2 other alternate ways to pick though.
>>> 1. based on OSGeo chapter languages
>>> 2. based on the languages the OSGeo site supposedly supports
>>> translations for.
>>>
>>> Here are the comparative lists, if we had to cut it to 10 languages
>>> which would you pick?
>>>
>>> # of Speakers:
>>>   sp \ #Spanish
>>>   en \ #English
>>>   hi \ #Hindi/Urdu
>>>   ar \ #Arabic
>>>   bn \ #Bengali
>>>   pt \ #Portuguese
>>>   ru \ #Russian
>>>   ja \ #Japanese
>>>   de \ #German
>>>   jv \ #Javanese - no language pack
>>>   pa \ #Punjabi pa
>>> # no language code for Wu may not be a written language
> [...]
>>> Greek
>>> Hebrew
>>> Polish
>>> Romanian