[Live-demo] Re: [OSGeo-Edu] Update on curriculum effort

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Tue Jan 12 14:10:21 PST 2010

Charlie and osgeo-edu committee,

We have just started the building of the 2010 DVD. There are links to
all project specific information here:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Live_GIS_Disc

Of particular note is:
Schedule:
http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=tMRaCwabv7SiIG3moHEfMrQ&hl=en_GB

Release 3.0: feature freeze in 3 weeks, final deliverable in April.
Release 4.0 (for FOSS4G 2010), feature freeze, end of June. Final
deliverable in September.

Also,
The list of packages, versions, and point of contact is at:
http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0Al9zh8DjmU_RdGIzd0VLLTBpQVJuNVlHMlBWSDhKLXc&hl=en_GB

We do currently have very light documentation: A one line project
description, and a one page description for each project as specified here:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/GISVM_Build#Writing_docs
These docs were filled out for us by each project.

What I would like is for someone to define the structure for the next
level of documentation, which I assume would be tutorials which explain
how to use these applications. If we make it easy for people to write
docs (by defining the templates) and then add a strong incentive for
writing them (the docs will be put on the LiveDVD and handed out at
FOSS4G and used as teaching material in colleges) then the docs will be
written. This is the principle we used very successfully for getting ~
20 developers to contribute to the LiveDVD in a very short period of time.