[Live-demo] PostGIS / Postgres on the Live DVD

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Thu Jan 14 11:40:46 PST 2010

Brian Hamlin wrote:
> well, what can I say
> a cursory look at the build log for this alpha shows Postgres 8.3 and
> PostGIS 1.3
> To say these are fundamental packages is almost an understatement,
>   yet somehow, the technology is a year behind..
>
> There was a year of work on PostGIS 1.4
> Postgres continues to make spectacularly stable and reliable updates
> Apparently the priority of packaging for Ubuntu is about zero
> (I have switched my systems to debian and its all working just fine
> thank you)
>
> <flame>
> As you all know I tried with good will and my best effort to include
> these two *crucial* apps in the last release
> only to be thwarted for no good reason by a single individual
> when it was clear this was the case I said, ok I am not as experienced here
> I'll bring in the software authors themselves
> who, two well respected individuals, said independently, yes this is
> fine it will work
> and still blocked...
>
> and now you are going to 'freeze' again..
> I don't understand what is wrong with this picture but for good reason I
> have little time or patience
> I am personally disappointed because this is a showcase project
> </flame>
>
> best regards from Berkeley, California
>   -Brian Hamlin

Brian,

I see the postgis 1.4 packages in Debian Sid, could you take lead on
seeing if these will work on Ubuntu 9.10. It would be easy enough for us
to copy them to UbuntuGIS and make minor tweaks if necessary.
http://packages.debian.org/sid/postgresql-8.4-postgis
http://packages.debian.org/sid/postgis