[Live-demo] Application Quick Start - RST or docbook?

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Thu Jul 1 12:14:53 PDT 2010

christopher.schmidt at nokia.com wrote:
> On Jun 30, 2010, at 8:42 AM, ext Cameron Shorter wrote:
>

>> Project champions,
>>
>> I notice that a number of projects have been using sphynx/RST wiki format to store their documentation.
>>
>> Would people prefer to use docbook or RST as the source format for creating the "Application Overview" and "Quickstart" documentation for each project?
>>
>> Attached is a template for the quickstart in Open Office format, and also the Project Overview.
>>
>> If there is a desire to use RST as the documentation format, I'd be keen to have some advice on how to build the RST template docs, and styling for the output.
>> Even better would be if someone has templates already which we can make use of
>>

> I'd highly recommend RST.
>
> Are these single-files, or sets of files? In general, the way to build
> things out of rst for collections of files is actually sphinx, and the
> way to build single files is:

Chris, we will be creating ProjectOverviews and QuickStarts for each
project. Ie, 2 docs for each project, which will be converted into 2
HTML pages for each project.
The output will look something like the project descriptions linked
from: http://live.osgeo.org/content.html
The structure of the docs is defined here:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Marketing_Artefacts#Application_Overview

In future releases of OSGeo Live, we will likely also be creating full
training workbooks, which will likely be multiple pages.