[Live-demo] New Docs Plan

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Wed Jul 21 14:07:30 PDT 2010

On 21/07/10 16:03, Hamish wrote:
> Alex Mandel wrote:
>
>> So I think I'm a little lost on the docs and hoping someone
>> can outline the plan so I know where to jump in and work on
>> the css.
>>
>> Are we replacing the descriptions with stuff generated from rst?
>>
> AFAIK we're replacing the<project>_description.{html|odt} with
> <project>_overview.rst
Correct.

It would be greatly valuable if one person could go through all the
applications and create one screenshot for each application, which can
then be used by everyone creating overviews.

This will save editors needing to fiddle around creating screenshots.

  (If projects don't like their screenshot, then can create another one
later).

I was originally hoping to create PDF docs out of this process, but so
far the PDF's I've created have not been laid out very well, so I think
we will have to wait until the next release to sort out PDFs, and just
focus on HTML for the moment.

>   and<project>_quickstart.rst.
Project Quickstarts are highly encouraged, but not mandatory for this
release, as we have not given people enough time to create them all. The
test pages may have a good start for this material.
>   The very
> short<project>_definition.html chunks will remain (maybe to
> become part of the index page? apparently some more work is
> done there).

I'm considering moving <project>definition html snippets, to a .rst
snippet, which can then be aggregated into an index.html. I'm hoping to
look into this over the next few days.

>> Are the tests still being pulled from the Testing wiki page?
>>
> That would make sense.

Yes. The test descriptions should be made simpler by just saying "Run
the QuickStart" for projects with a QuickStart.

>> Is the rst being generated to static html or are we running
>> sphinx on the disc?

Sphinx creates static html, which is run on the disc. (we can
potentially uninstal sphinx later to we really need the space).

> AFAIU we are running sphinx on the disc. It's pretty light-
> weight anyway, I see no reason not to. (I've just added the
> package download to install_main_docs.sh)
>
> just do:
>
> cd doc/overview/
> make html
> firefox ./_build/html/
>
> and pick one. then use prev,next in the top.
>
> same for doc/quickstart/
>

> honestly, it looks like a million bucks.
>

>> What's the status (I see Hamish madly working away) of the
>> transition?
>>
> well, I just figured out I'm maintaining 40% of the install
> scripts... help... please... not sustainable...
>
> actually converting html to reST is fairly easy, it just takes
> a few minutes, but I don't have sphinx on the machine I'm
> developing on so it's a rather inefficient and ugly back and
> forth of svn commits while I figure out how to use it and
> debug.
>

>> I assume using the banner/css I made for live.osgeo.org is the
>> way to go for style?

Yes your styles would be fine, although I'd like to work out how to move
these styles into the rst/sphinx scripts.