[Live-demo] Remaining tasks looking for a volunteer

maplabs at light42.com maplabs at light42.com
Tue Jul 27 18:53:30 PDT 2010

  > 2. Clean up the packaging of OpenLayers. Last time I looked, Openlayers
  > was not selectable as its own item in the menus, and I don't think it
  > includes the typical examples. (This is a very high priority as
  > OpenLayers is the only OSGeo package which is not presented well)

there is an (ugly) icon for OpenLayers at

  http://www.openlayers.org/images/OpenLayers.trac.png

the sequence in install_desktop.sh looks really fragile to me

Q. in /usr/share/applications/*.desktop, many files have the osgeo- prefix,
      What puts that there?  I dont think each install_*sh does it

How about
in   install_openlayers.sh
=============================
wget -c --progress=dot:mega
http://www.openlayers.org/images/OpenLayers.trac.png \
--output-document=/usr/local/share/icons/OpenLayers.trac.png

ICON_FILE="openlayers.desktop"

if [ ! -e "/usr/share/applications/$ICON_FILE" ] ; then
   cat << EOF > "/usr/share/applications/$ICON_FILE"
[Desktop Entry]
Type=Application
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=OpenLayers
Comment=openlayers demos
Categories=Application;Education;
Exec=firefox http://localhost/openlayers/examples/
Icon=/usr/local/share/icons/OpenLayers.trac.png
Terminal=false
StartupNotify=false
EOF
fi

then in install_desktop.sh
add openlayers to NAV_APPS
then.. whatever other install_desktop.sh voodoo

  -Brian