[Live-demo] Remaining tasks looking for a volunteer

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 27 19:23:16 PDT 2010

Brian:
> there is an (ugly) icon for OpenLayers at
>   http://www.openlayers.org/images/OpenLayers.trac.png

perhaps put the name of the project over it in a paint program
with the last few letters of the project name over the existing
icon? anything else on their site?

> the sequence in install_desktop.sh looks really fragile to me

and yet it works well, so please don't break it. :-)

> Q. in /usr/share/applications/*.desktop, many files have
> the osgeo- prefix,

right. in order to build our menu we've got to play with the
keywords in the Categories= section of the *.desktop file.
I'm not saying that it's sane, but it's what Xfce makes us do.
To avoid breaking the existing menus we make a duplicate copy
for the modified version and call it osgeo-*.desktop. It's a
few bytes of redundancy, but too small to matter.

>       What puts that there?  I dont think each install_*sh
> does it

no, install_desktop.sh does that. Applications should simply
place a copy of their icon on the desktop, and leave all the
dirty work of building the menu to the install_desktop script.

This is easier for the both the project script maintainers and
for the desktop menu maintainer (me), as the ugly stuff only
needs to be edited in a single place.

You can look at the sahaha and ushahidi install scripts for
an example of creating a firefox launcher.

regards,
Hamish