[Live-demo] Review of SAGA GIS overview docs

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Wed Jul 28 14:29:13 PDT 2010

Hi Johan, These docs are looking good.
I've picked up a couple of minor English grammar issues, which I've fixed.
I've also added my comments in italics below. Could you please action,
or ignore by the end of the week.

  SAGA GIS¶ <cid:part1.05080902.08070707 at gmail.com>

    Desktop GIS¶ <cid:part2.09050303.05000704 at gmail.com>

/Cameron: I changed the above subheading from "System for Automated
Geoscientific Analysis" to be consistent with our template which is
focusing on categories for the above subtitle.

/SAGA GIS (System for Automated Geoscientific Analyses) is a free and
open source geographic information system used for editing and analysing
spatial data.
/
Cameron: I suggest use "SAGA" instead of "SAGA GIS" in this description,
as GIS would be assumed from the rest of your description.
Cameron: Note that some people will only read your first sentence, so
make sure it contains the most important parts of your project in it. As
all projects on the DVD are "free and open source" I wouldn't use it,
and if you do use it, just say "open source" and move it further down
your text. Maybe use the first line of "SAGA (System for Automated
Geoscientific Analyses) provides over 300 modules for editing and
analysing spatial data. The modules are used for the analysis of ..."/

  It includes a large number of modules for the analysis of vector
(point, line and polygon), table, grid and image data. Among others the
package includes modules for geostatistics, image classification,
projections, simulation of dynamic processes (hydrology, landscape
development) and terrain analysis. The functionality can be accessed
through a GUI, the command line or by using the C++ API.

SAGA GIS has been in development since 2001, and the centre of SAGA
development is located in the Institute of Geography at the University
of Hamburg, with contributions from the growing world wide community.
/
Cameron: The above sentence holds minimal interest to most users, unless
you can tie it back to a key user interest (like the software is robust
and stable and supported). I'd be inclined to remove the above sentence.
If you keep it, then say something like "SAGA is robust. It has been in
development since 2001 and is deployed and supported by <mention risk
adverse clients like defence or government>./

SAGA comes with a comprehensive set of free modules, most of them
published under the GPL (332 modules in 45 libraries).
/Cameron: You possibly won't need this like if you are describing number
of modules above. Otherwise, I'd spend half a sentence explaining what a
module is, and I wouldn't worry about mentioning GPL (as it is mentioned
below and you already say it is free). /

      Core Features¶ <cid:part3.05090300.01020904 at gmail.com>

    * Access to a large number of scientific modules via the Graphical
      User Interface or the command line

        * Import/Export to different file formats
        * Reprojection/Resampling of data
        * Manipulation of vector data (merging/intersection/attributes)
        * Manipulation of point clouds from lidar data
        * Raster data: interpolation, cost analysis, ...
        * Image analysis: filters, edge detection, cluster analysis,
          segmentation
        * Digital Terrain Analysis: generate geomorphometric indexes,
          channel networks, profiles, contour lines, ...
        * Geostatistics: modules for variogram fitting and kriging

    * Fast user interface for managing and visualising data

        * 3D visualisation

    * Straightforward C++ API for creating new modules
    * Scripting through command line, bindings for python
    * Access from R through RSAGA
    * /Cameron: I suggest explaining what R is, and you don't need to
      mention how you access it (users don't care). Maybe "Access
      statistical functions from `R R_overview.rst`_ "/

      Details¶ <cid:part4.05090104.01040308 at gmail.com>

*Website:* http://www.saga-gis.org

*Licence:* LGPL v2.1 (api); GPLv2 (GUI and modules)

*Software Version:* 2.0.4

*Supported Platforms:* Linux, Windows

*API Interfaces:* C++

*Support:* http://www.saga-gis.org