[Live-demo] Openlayers looking very amateur on OSGeo-Live DVD

christopher.schmidt at nokia.com christopher.schmidt at nokia.com
Thu Jul 29 17:43:49 PDT 2010

On Jul 29, 2010, at 8:32 PM, ext Hamish wrote:

> Cameron wrote:
>>> * I think Openlayers still needs the CD to be connected to
>>> the internet to show basemaps, rather than working
>>> effectively offline.
>
> christopher.schmidt wrote:
>> I'm likely to fix this problem more generally in the next
>> couple weeks, but fixing the examples at the moment requires
>> modifying 158 files individually, and I don't think this is
>> the right time to fix the problem.
>

> Hi,
>
> swerving off-topic a little bit, but in earlier days we had set
> these firefox preferences:
>
> user_pref("toolkit.networkmanager.disable", true);
> user_pref("network.online", true);
>

> would they help / are they still needed?

I have no idea what those do, so if the question is directed towards
me, the only I answer I can provide is "I have no idea".

> and fwiw OpenLayers is used by about half a dozen projects on
> the disk already behind the scenes; a simple to use demo is
> already provided by MapTiler; and if a GDAL quickstart ever
> materializes gdal2tiles.py is an easy to get started with demo
> of it too.

I've already written a quickstart for OpenLayers, basically just
copying from http://docs.openlayers.org/library/introduction.html
and trying to modify it for a local WMS, until I realized there
probably isn't one I can use, so I'll have to create that somehow.
(see other email.)

-- Chris