[Live-demo] 4a4 osm data

Brian Hamlin maplabs at light42.com
Tue Jun 22 11:47:36 PDT 2010

On Jun 22, 2010, at 9:00 AM, live-demo-request at lists.osgeo.org wrote:

>> running it, with additional RAM (1296M)
>>
>> * opened Postgres PGAdmin
>>   Sydney and Medford dbs both appear to be missing their data
>>   they exist, but only two supporting tables are there.. ??
>>
>> * quick search for all .shp files and all.sql files did not reveal any
>> data for them
>
> Those data sets are slated to be replaced as soon as we get around to
> it
> with a generic osm dump (for this year it's barcelona) called something
> like city.osm. Any volunteers?

        dbb: hi all- I am trying to make a raw dump to load into
postgres.. I tried I just tried all of  hypercube.telascience.org,
openstreetmap.org, www.informationfreeway.org
/api/0.5/map?bbox=1.8,40.5,2.8,42.1 ..none of them responded..
        dbb: is there something basic I am missing here?
        dbb: ohh xapi.openstreetmap.org/api/0.6/ appears to be doing
something...

balrog-k1n: dbb: in my experience at most one instance of XAPI is
working at any moment :p
balrog-k1n: and if you request an area with a lot of data it may take
ages, if you don't need a complicate query it's best to extract from a
planet dump or country dump
        dbb: balrog-k1n:
        dbb: hi
        dbb: hmmm extract from a country dump?  I am looking for the
area surrounding Barcelona
        dbb: you are right, it is taking a long time
balrog-k1n: dbb: geofabrik.de has ready to use spain weekly dumps, from
which you can load a fragment (or all) into the db
        dbb: looking
balrog-k1n: cloudmade.com also has weekly dumps but they're usually a
week or longer behind
        dbb: ok - we are considering a build process where a 'current'
OSM dump is taken
balrog-k1n: xapi is updated daily i think, but not always,
balrog-k1n: your best bet is taking a spain dump and updating using the
diff files