[Live-demo] 4a4 ssh

Brian Hamlin maplabs at light42.com
Tue Jun 22 09:35:01 PDT 2010

On Jun 22, 2010, at 9:00 AM, live-demo-request at lists.osgeo.org wrote:

>>> --
>>> * can't ssh in
>>>    installed ssh meta package, and openssl-server specifically
>>>    but, ssh connection is refused.. X or no X
>>>    someone may say that this is a good thing
>>>    well, if you have a 'user/user' type login, why not enable login?
>>>    I booted off a headless server, and wanted to ssh in to the
>>> running VM
>>>    a better balance could be struck here...
>>>
> ssh-server should be enabled (I was sshing into the image before I
> exported it).
> It might be disabled by an import process.

ssh and remote access are *the first* thing I do when turning this on
its frustrating that its not available

I dont know *nix networking...
but it seems odd to me that ifconfig -a shows only eth4 and eth5 (and
lo)
where is eth0 ?
with vncserver, I got connections last night, but can't now.. (after
reboot)
using the osgeolive host name..

(on another note, saying Remote Desktop is available
and that you can enable file sharing, is not at all a substitute for
ssh)

changing ssh port number makes no sense to me at all

ssh, ssh -X, and ssh with tunnels, are fundamental to using a linux
machine
if they dont work when the machine starts, its just broken IMO

concluding
perhaps this is a hiccup on this alpha image..
I think I can work and move forward while it gets resolved
but I *do* strongly support ssh login enabled out of the box for the
finished product

best regards
   -Brian