[Live-demo] Standard Postgres database name?

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Fri Jun 25 02:04:06 PDT 2010

On 06/25/2010 01:26 AM, Cameron Shorter wrote:
> Brian Hamlin wrote:
>> Hi All-
>>
>> There is a database in Postgres called osm_barcelona
>> as a result of an import..
>>
>> is this the name we want, fro examples to rely on?
>> Alex mentioned just now osm_local or osm_city as possibilities
>> I think we ought to settle this quickly in order to move on
>
> Brian, good comment. I agree that we should use a generic name so we
> don't have to change examples every year.
> In install_gisdata.sh we are using the name "feature_city.osm".
> So I suggest using "osm_feature_city", unless you have a better name, in
> which case change the name in install_gisdata.sh too.

Shouldn't the name of the database be generic like feature_city and the
table be called something like osm. It seems more appropriate as we may
import other data for the same area. Likewise a few select items could
also be imported into a database called "global".

It a semantic game I think to refine the best names, 1st in my mind is
local as it contrasts against global, note we could also keep the data
in folders by the same names.

So maybe a couple more days of thoughts and ideas before we settle.