[Live-demo] blue wombat desktop background

Juan Lucas Domínguez Rubio juan_lucas_dr at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 8 02:03:10 PST 2010

--- On Mon, 3/8/10, Alex Mandel <tech_dev at wildintellect.com> wrote:

> From: Alex Mandel <tech_dev at wildintellect.com>
> Subject: Re: [Live-demo] blue wombat desktop background
> To: "live-demo at lists.osgeo.org" <live-demo at lists.osgeo.org>
> Cc: "Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo)" <tmitchell at osgeo.org>
> Date: Monday, March 8, 2010, 10:01 AM
> Hamish wrote:
> > Alex:
> >> http://download.osgeo.org/livedvd/3.0-rc3/desktop3.0rc3alt.png
> >
> > It seems that someone finally overcame the
> deficiencies of the Mercator
> > projection by wiping Greenland off the face of the
> Earth!
> >

> > Hamish
>
> Figures, this is what happens when you let a graphics
> artist make a map
> instead of a cartographer.
>
> Tyler any chance we can get Greenland back, we'd probably
> be happy to do
> it ourselves if we had a vector format file for that
> design.
>
> Thanks,
> Alex

I've always thought that the size of Greenland in the Mercator projection was an obscenity, so well done, graphics artist!

That being said, I don't care much about which projection is used in world maps, as long as Europe is kept in the middle ;-)
Oops, be careful, my little wombat, try not to fall off the edge of the world, hahaha!!

Regards,
Juan Lucas