[Live-demo] 3.0rc4 is online

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Wed Mar 10 00:33:27 PST 2010

Hamish wrote:
> Alex wrote:
>> ISO (3.5GB) and VM (3.9GB compressed 7z ultra,9GB expanded)
>> are both available online. This vm seems to play nice with VMWare
>> Server and the graphical login works. I also tossed up the logs
>> and a screenshot of the desktop.
>
> excellent, thanks!
>

>> Hamish, sorry the way we build right I have to be logged in to run all
>> the scripts so I'm not sure how to not be logged or be a different user
>> just for the panel part. I'll have to think about that some more.
>
> some ideas-
>
> I've adjusted the script so it can be re-run after-the fact now, but the
> icons need to be in the main ~/Desktop/ dir. (they can be moved back
> there using the script I posted to the ML a few days back.)
>
> hmm maybe much easier -- can you right click on the top panel, add a new
> Xfce menu (mouse icon), once added right click on it, properties, and
> select "custom menu" and then pick /usr/local/share/xfce/xfce-osgeo.menu.
>
> If all went well the menu and icons should be there, just dormant.

Yes If I manually add, and select custom it's there. Although it doesn't
know what icon it's supposed to use for the menu itself.

> If you create a new user account and log in do you see the menu, button
> for terminal, cpu monitor, etc?

Yes they do. I'll note the cpu monitor if possible should be set to it's
slowest setting 1 sec updates. I'm actually quite surprised all of the
speed are quite fast compared to Gnome's options but then again Gnome
also lets you type it in. I would also suggest a black background
(assuming these can be set in the panel code) the white is an beacon
that screams missing pixels or something.

> can you do ctrl-alt-f2 to run it without X? should we install fluxbox
> or some other small-footprint WM as scaffolding to work from?
>
> I had thought about `killall xfce-panel` and then reload it after as
> part of the install script, but I'm not convinced that is a good idea,
> and it would not work for xfce-session which might have to be stopped
> as well(?).

What about a 1 time run script on reboot that does it before login?

>> http://download.osgeo.org/livedvd/3.0-rc4/
>>
>> Don't mind the .html at the end of those listing, they are temporary
>> redirects since the current images aren't on the osgeo servers.
>
> fyi along with the tightness of space on the main download server a big
> reason not to host the rc builds there is due to the backup scripts.
> mirroring those files around the place eats up a lot of hardware I/O
> which can't be renice'd away. Having that happen once for the final cut
> is ok, but once a week during release month gets to be a bit much.
> (AFAIUI)

That and the software config that doesn't work for files over 2 GB.
We'll have a much better system in place in a month. Overhauling the
download server is a priority for me as part of the new server installation.