[Live-demo] blue wombat desktop background

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Fri Mar 12 19:15:30 PST 2010

On 03/12/2010 06:47 PM, Hamish wrote:
> Judit:
>>> But best I like the brightness of wombat7, in the
>>> location of wombat5.
>>> Huh? Take wombat5 and brighten the logo in the same way as
>>> you did with wombat7. That is what I would like most.
>
> Can't do. The logo in #7 is from the project.eps logo from osgeo
> marketing svn (the only vectorized version I could find),
> so I could feather the alpha levels in a distinct layer.
> Also, I can't completely erase the old logo due to the background
> gradient, I can just gently brighten and tweak its color so far
> before the edges turn to crud. (I didn't push the issue so
> there's probably still a bit of room left for a brighter grey)
>
>>> If you don't want to make another example, go for wombat
>>> number 5.
>
> Cameron
>> I agree with Judit that the grayscale version of the wombat
>> fits better with the background,
>
> now committed in svn.
>
>> although I think it better to keep the logo in the bottom
>> right, as it is less likely to be covered by icons or
>> application windows.
>
> at first I thought the same thing, but when I tried it with my
> laptop sitting on my desk I found my eye level was near the top
> of the screen and so the top right was the most valuable real
> estate. The lower right was buried in the LCD haze down by the
> keyboard. On my desktop PC the opposite is true, but laptops
> are what people take to conferences and demos.  shrug
>

> Hamish

SVG for the logos is available:
http://svn.osgeo.org/osgeo/marketing/logo/svg/

I know some pattern match replace tricks if we really want to try and
erase something from the background. Look for the Clone tool near the
bottom of the GIMP tool box it lets you copy nearby pixels over, a
little tedious but I've rewritten road signs with it before.