[Live-demo] Draft release press release

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Sun Mar 21 04:44:48 PDT 2010

I've written up a press release while I wait for the 3.0rc6 LiveDVD to
download.

http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Live_GIS_Disc_Press_Release_3

I plan to send this out through the osgeo communication channels on Tuesday.

Comments welcomed:

  Arramagong GeoSpatial Live DVD and Virtual Machine released

Version 3.0 of the latest Arramagong GeoSpatial Live DVD and Virtual
Machine has been released.

 From the Arramagong DVD, you can trial the best GeoSpatial Open Source
Software without installing any applications on your computer. It is
ideal for handing out at conferences or to be used as thr basis for Open
Source training courses.

The DVD is based on XUbuntu 9.10 <http://xubuntu.org> and can be run
like any Ubuntu DVD. It also comes with windows installers for many of
the GeoSpatial applications.

This 3.0 release of the DVD includes:

    * 34 of the best GeoSpatial Open Source applications.
    * 15 new applications added since release 2.0, at FOSS4G 2009
    * 13 applications updated
    * Formalised testing introduced for all packages as part of the
      release process
    * Plus lots of general improvement tweaks

    [edit
    <http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php?title=Live_GIS_Disc_Press_Release_3&action=edit&section=2>]
    Downloads:

http://download.osgeo.org/livedvd

    [edit
    <http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php?title=Live_GIS_Disc_Press_Release_3&action=edit&section=3>]
    Packages:

    * AtlasStyler SLD editor and Geopublisher :: 1.4 (new)
    * deegree WMS, WFS, WCS and iGeoPortal :: 2.2
    * GDAL :: 1.6.3
    * GeoKettle :: 3.2.0-20090609
    * Geomajas :: 1.4.2 (new)
    * GeoNetwork :: 2.4.2
    * GeoServer :: 2.0.1
    * GMT: The Generic Mapping tools :: 4.4.0 (new)
    * GpsDrive :: 2.10pre7
    * GRASS GIS :: 6.4.0rc5
    * gvSIG :: 1.9 stable
    * Kosmo :: 2.0 RC1
    * Mapfish :: 1.2 (new)
    * Mapnik :: 0.6.1 (new)
    * Mapserver :: 5.6.1
    * MapTiler :: 1.0 beta2
    * Marble :: 0.8.1
    * MB System :: 5.1.2
    * Octave Mapping Toolbox :: 3.0 / 1.0.7 (new)
    * Open Jump  :: 1.3
    * Open Layers :: 2.8 (new)
    * OpenCPN :: 1.3.6 (new)
    * OpenStreetMap editors and tools :: JOSM svn1788, Gosmore
      svn20090624 (new)
    * osgEarth :: 1.3 (new)
    * Ossim/OssimPlanet :: 1.8.3 (new)
    * pgRouting :: 1.04
    * Postgres/PostGIS :: 8.4/1.4
    * PROJ.4 :: 4.7.0 (new)
    * QuantumGIS :: 1.4.0
    * R geostatistics :: 2.10.1 (new)
    * SpatiaLite :: 2.4.0 (new)
    * uDig :: 1.2RC1
    * Unofficial gvSIG Mobile for Linux :: 0.1.6 (new)
    * Xubuntu :: 9.1

    [edit
    <http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php?title=Live_GIS_Disc_Press_Release_3&action=edit&section=4>]
    Interested?

You can find more details about the project on our wiki at:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Live_GIS_Disc

Retrieved from "http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Live_GIS_Disc_Press_Release_3"

Geospatial Systems Architect