[Live-demo] Re: XCSoar on the OSGeo-Live DVD?

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Sat Sep 25 13:13:04 PDT 2010

  Scott,
I'm CCing the osgeo-live email list as others will likely have comments
and suggestions about including XCSoar on OSGeoLive. http://www.xcsoar.org/

On 23/09/2010 8:51 AM, Scott Penrose wrote:
> Good morning Cameron
>
> On 21/09/2010, at 10:04 PM, Cameron Shorter wrote:
>
>> Scott,
>> I'm one of the people behind the OSGeo Live DVD
>> http://live.osgeo.org, where we package high quality Open Source
>> GeoSpatial applications.
>>
>> My father, a glider pilot, suggested that XCSoar is another high
>> quality geospatial which we should consider including.
>>
>> Does this interest you?
>
> Yes very much. I went to FOSS4G in Sydney last year and the osgeo live
> DVD was an excellent resource.
Great.

> Currently XCSoar is running on Pocket PC and runs via WINE on Linux
> and a native linux version (with X support) and a native Linux/Android
> version is almost ready to trial.

Our next release will be ~ April next year.
What we will be looking for is a stable version from you, which will
install onto Ubuntu.

> How can I help provide you what is necessary ?

What is required is documented in detail here:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Live_GIS_Add_Project

Have a read, they get back to me if you have questions.

> For Pocket PC, Windows and WINE versions, I imagine a directory along
> the lines of:
> - Readme
> - Manual PDF
> - Installations EXE for each platform
> - Data for various example locations (do we have enough space to
> provide a few of these?)
To date we have had installers for windows versions in previous
releases, but it is likely we won't have room for this in the next
release. Also, the windows installers are secondary to the linux version
(which can be run from the DVD).

Documentation requirements are listed here:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Live_GIS_Add_Project#Documentation

(You can see what it looks like here:
http://live.osgeo.org/overview/overview.html )