[Live-demo] How to add a new MacOS X package to the list

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 8 00:15:44 PDT 2011

Alex wrote:
> I would like to try and balance Windows/Mac. While windows
> is the predominant OS, I've actually found a niche for Mac
> installs (done a few off the disc actually) because most
> proprietary GIS doesn't run on Mac.

It has been my experience as well that FOSS4Geo on a Mac is a
/much/ easier sell than FOSS4Geo for PC users. Software that
actually runs on your machine is a rather big plus, and while
grateful for things like VirtualPC or Parallels, it's also a
PITA & if they had wanted a PC they would have bought one.
There's probably a healthy dose of non-conformist in the mix as
well.

I can report that both QGIS and GRASS core development has greatly
benefited by the presence of refugee Mac users/programmers, and
the software would not be nearly as good as they are today without
them. One of my personal goals for the LiveDVD is to get it into
the hands of the "right" developers, who might be inspired to
join the communities of the member project of whatever nice
program they found on the disc. I happen to think that's more
likely to occur if they use a Mac.

which I guess is a long way of saying "Apple users are already
itchy".

2c,
Hamish