[Live-demo] 5.0 Beta 4 Status - Space

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 7 19:28:38 PDT 2011

Hamish:
> > remember it is compressed size that matters, not what
> > df reports, so uncompressed GeoTiffs etc may be a lot less
> > costly than they seem on the surface.

Alex:
> Yes I use a rule of thumb 50%.

on aggregate that's ok, but for geodata it is probably too crude
to go by. LiDAR data will probably compress 85%, OSM XML data
compresses by similar margins. But MrSID geotiffs won't compress
at all..

> Inkscape is being used in Cartography these days

I know, thus the pain in considering what to remove.

> I believe we already removed gimp,

yes AFAIR, I more mean that class of not-strictly geo packages
but still really useful for the end user for them to be there.
e.g. maybe replace the email client with Slypheed, etc..

we probably want a media player for YouTube or other video
quickstarts....

etc

> and OOo was never on Xubuntu
> (though it would be nice to have Calc for editing dbf).

I think we ship Gnumeric which I think covers that.
(yay dbview)

> Postgis:
> osm_local 38 MB
> osm_local_merc 37 MB

is the reprojected version strictly necessary?

> pgrouting 181 MB

a little ouch, but if it compresses well, probably not a big
worry.

> sahana 21 MB
> mapbender 15 MB
> 52nSOS 20 MB
> natural_earth 69 MB

acceptable imo

> Aside from asking pgrouting to use the same OSM dump (not
> sure if they switched from their premade sample) postgis
> seems ok on space usage.

> Packages:
>
> libboost1.42-devĀ  69 M <- Is this necessary after
> boost packages are built? maybe we need better cleanup after
> boost stuff.

most likely not, and if it is there probably boost docs -dev
and a couple hundred MB of other boost -dev packages are also
there (it's a real beast). Will need to study the latest build
log to see where that gets left behind. (perhaps [my] gpsdrive
dep?)

> gnome-user-guide 52 M <- Xubuntu, why do we need gnome
> stuff?

gtk programs still there, but I doubt we need to keep that.

> smbclient 42.6 M <- does the live disc need to be able
> to browse windows shares? I can see the value of this for
> the vm.

.. and for workshops with tutorial data held on a central
server. but is smbclient just the command line ftp-like
interface or is it the backend lib? If smb client access still
works via Thunar or Konquerer or whatever maybe we don't need it?

> openjdk-6-jdk 35 M <- is the dev kit required or is jre
> sufficient?

what needs that and not Sun's version?

> oxygen-icon-theme 31 M <- looks like elementary icon is
> the defualt so drop this
> humanity-icon-theme 20.3 M <- same

good .. but does anything important depend on them?
(ie does 'apt-get remove' want to take away the kitchen sink
as well?)

> For now the following seems safe to tack in the setdown.sh
> apt-get remove oxygen-icon-theme humanity-icon-theme
> gnome-user-guide

it should be done in setup.sh just after gimp, xscreensaver, etc
are removed.

> libboost1.42-dev

let the install script which sucked that in remove it.
(if removal is applicable)

> I think the base Xubuntu is in the 1.5-2 GB range, though I
> will confirm.

IIRC a base VM comes in about 2.2gb after install & updates.

> /usr/local/share/data/north_carolina 435 M
> /usr/local/share/data/natural_earth 249 M
>
> Seems like those last 2 are bigger than we expected 684 M
> before compression, likely 342 M on the ISO.

forget the rule of thumb for those, just look at the size
of the .zip files they came from. (about 100mb and 60mb
respectively IIRC)

> I believe we need to keep some of the NC dataset, there was
> talk specifically of hi res rasters and lidar which a few
> apps do want to use and might already be.
> That doesn't mean we need everything though.

well if we want folks to move to a common dataset, the earlier
we start shipping it the better. :)

> Towns as a tif seem kinda odd, wouldn't it be more common
> to use a vector for that or show people how to convert it to
> raster for analysis purposes, etc.. (maybe I'm getting nit
> picky).

sorry, which layer exactly is that? I assume any geotiff is
imagery data, ... a quick spin through qgis should answer that,
maybe just an unobvious name?

> Now to figure out why the beta4 iso is 100 MB more than the
> beta3 (I suspect it was Xubuntu updates)...

check that an old linux kernel image and headers are not there,
$ dpkg -l | grep linux-image | grep ^ii

?

Hamish