[Live-demo] 5.0 Beta 4 Status - Space

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Tue Aug 9 13:30:01 PDT 2011

On 08/07/2011 07:28 PM, Hamish wrote:
>> and OOo was never on Xubuntu
>> (though it would be nice to have Calc for editing dbf).
>
> I think we ship Gnumeric which I think covers that.
> (yay dbview)
>
>> Postgis:
>> osm_local 38 MB
>> osm_local_merc 37 MB
>
> is the reprojected version strictly necessary?
>
>> pgrouting 181 MB
>
> a little ouch, but if it compresses well, probably not a big
> worry.
>
>> sahana 21 MB
>> mapbender 15 MB
>> 52nSOS 20 MB
>> natural_earth 69 MB
>
> acceptable imo
>
>> Aside from asking pgrouting to use the same OSM dump (not
>> sure if they switched from their premade sample) postgis
>> seems ok on space usage.
>

>> Packages:
>>
>> libboost1.42-dev  69 M <- Is this necessary after
>> boost packages are built? maybe we need better cleanup after
>> boost stuff.
>
> most likely not, and if it is there probably boost docs -dev
> and a couple hundred MB of other boost -dev packages are also
> there (it's a real beast). Will need to study the latest build
> log to see where that gets left behind. (perhaps [my] gpsdrive
> dep?)

liblas is also boost, and possibly mapnik. libboost1.42-dev seems ok to
remove and takes a bunch of other dev packages with it for 71.9 M

>> gnome-user-guide 52 M <- Xubuntu, why do we need gnome
>> stuff?
>
> gtk programs still there, but I doubt we need to keep that.

No deps, seems safe to remove for 64.2 M

>> smbclient 42.6 M <- does the live disc need to be able
>> to browse windows shares? I can see the value of this for
>> the vm.
>
> .. and for workshops with tutorial data held on a central
> server. but is smbclient just the command line ftp-like
> interface or is it the backend lib? If smb client access still
> works via Thunar or Konquerer or whatever maybe we don't need it?

smbclient is the lib that everything uses to access windows shares
(which never works for me anyways)

>> openjdk-6-jdk 35 M <- is the dev kit required or is jre
>> sufficient?
>
> what needs that and not Sun's version?

Not sure but some project may have built their installer counting on it.

>> oxygen-icon-theme 31 M <- looks like elementary icon is
>> the defualt so drop this
>> humanity-icon-theme 20.3 M <- same
>
> good .. but does anything important depend on them?
> (ie does 'apt-get remove' want to take away the kitchen sink
> as well?)

Damn oxygen would kill marble and humanity would kill xubuntu-desktop

> Hamish

Other candidates:
linux-headers <- once things are built do we need them? Might prevent
users from adding their own R packages...

vim,vim-runtime 27 M , not to start a flame war but new users to linux
don't use this.

python-bzrlib 20M , though I wouldn't want to impede the use of bzr
version control

xfwm4-themes 17 M, no deps, looks safe.
Hmm, neither GIMP nor Inkscape are on there.

r-base-core is installed, guess it's not called r-base anymore.

That's a good roundup.