[Live-demo] 5.0 Beta 4 Status - Space

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Mon Aug 8 17:03:26 PDT 2011

On 08/08/2011 04:08 PM, Hamish wrote:
> re. .snv/ dirs:
>
> In earlier releases we had changed 'svn co' to 'svn export' at
> the last minute to avoid the 100% duplication of files contained
> in the .svn/ dirs. (used for offline 'svn diff's and reverts)
>
> this is especially important for the screenshot dir, which is
> pretty big.
>
> ... but now that we employ the duplicate files -> hardlink trick
> from fslint this isn't nearly the problem it used to be.
> i.e. that 180mb you are looking at probably only takes up a few
> kb in the ISO filesystem.
>

> My 2c vote would go to again switching over from 'svn co' to
> 'svn export' once we pass the dev-version threshold and move
> into the user-based world of the final RCs.
>
> I would mildly argue to keep the build scripts on the disc, if
> for no other reason than to nurture the curious.
>

> Hamish
>
> ps- remember that if you do a svn checkin from a VM your login
> credentials can be stored in plain text on the drive, although
> we do try to wipe that out in the ISO building script. the newer
> version of svn in Natty should warn you about this, but still,
> please be careful that you're distributing a clean VM :-).

I don't do checkins from the VM at all by policy these days. I do
occasionally need to do an svn up in between the VM build and the ISO
step. It would be better for me to just remove the .svn folders right
before the ISO build. I suppose if I need an updated version of some
script I can always svn export again. So that would also work.

I do not want to have to manually switch back and forth depending on
which build though because I'm sure to forget sometimes.