[Live-demo] 5.0 Beta 4 Status - Space

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 9 19:25:47 PDT 2011

Daniel wrote:
> I think it's not pgRouting library but either the workshop
> sample data and/or the pgRouting Quickstart sample data.
>
> With Barcelona it was no issue, so I guess that it's because
> the Denver OSM data bounding box contains so much more data
> than Barcelona.

Yes, it is many times bigger.

> I already experienced, that it takes so long to load the
> network in QGIS. It's just because it's so huge.
> For pgRouting Qucikstart I have to either download a smaller
> bbox of Denver area for pgRouting, or we could make the area
> smaller in general, and it will also decrease the size of
> pgRouting.

can the pgRouting postgis db population step be done specifying
a limiting bounding box?

should we extract a smaller bbox just for use by the pgRouting
install script? A sluggish demo is probably not what you wish
to show off :)

here is a visual version of the city-wide bbox I used:

http://www.openstreetmap.org/?box=yes&bbox=-105.2147,39.5506,-104.594,39.9139&mlat=39.74251&mlon=-104.9891

(zoom out one step to see the orange box easier; marker is the
FOSS4G venue)

you can see from there that I've chopped off the northern and
southern suburbs a bit already, and extended eastwards to get
all of the airport covered.

(I would at least like to cover the route from the airport to
the conference hall)

Suggestions welcome, especially from Denver locals.

Hamish