[Live-demo] 5.0 Beta 4 Status - Space

Daniel Kastl daniel at georepublic.de
Tue Aug 9 19:42:16 PDT 2011

> > For pgRouting Qucikstart I have to either download a smaller
> > bbox of Denver area for pgRouting, or we could make the area
> > smaller in general, and it will also decrease the size of
> > pgRouting.
>
> can the pgRouting postgis db population step be done specifying
> a limiting bounding box?

Well, pgRouting takes the downloaded sample data of OSM and calculates
network topology and then loads it into a database.
There is possibility to specify a bounding box, so the easiest would be to
just download a smaller extent of OSM.
I actually would like to avoid this, because now it's more convenient: if
the OSM extent changes for the whole LiveDVD this also changes the sample
data of pgRouting.

> should we extract a smaller bbox just for use by the pgRouting
> install script? A sluggish demo is probably not what you wish
> to show off :)

It's not sluggish even with a smaller extent. I find it rather hard to use
for example with QGIS, when you want to load the whole OSM data. It is a bit
too big for a LiveDVD in my opinion.

> here is a visual version of the city-wide bbox I used:
>

> http://www.openstreetmap.org/?box=yes&bbox=-105.2147,39.5506,-104.594,39.9139&mlat=39.74251&mlon=-104.9891
>
> (zoom out one step to see the orange box easier; marker is the
> FOSS4G venue)

Yes, I already made it smaller for the workshop, using just Denver downtown.
Because it takes too long on weak notebooks to run the topology function.

> you can see from there that I've chopped off the northern and
> southern suburbs a bit already, and extended eastwards to get
> all of the airport covered.
>
> (I would at least like to cover the route from the airport to
> the conference hall)
>
> Suggestions welcome, especially from Denver locals.

Yes, that's a good question. I was surprised that the data was so huge.
OSM data in Denver seems to contain a lot of features aside roads.

Well, I'm OK with either way: download a smaller extent for pgRouting only
or decrease the size of the bbox in general.

Who else is using OSM data on the LiveDVD? Is the data used for some map
rendering?
If it's only pgRouting making use of it, I'm not sure it's worth to have
such a large extent. Probably the majority of users will not notice then.

Daniel

--
Georepublic UG & Georepublic Japan
eMail: daniel.kastl at georepublic.de