[Live-demo] Re: Questions about gvsig, Java and OSGeo-Live

Simon Cropper scropper at botanicusaustralia.com.au
Tue Aug 9 18:54:14 PDT 2011

On 10/08/11 11:18, cameron.shorter at gmail.com wrote:
> Jorge, José, Simon,
> Would you mind responding to this email on behalf of: gvsig
>
> On 10/08/11 09:28, Jody Garnett wrote:
>> Cameron if you were able to ensure the Sun JRE used included JAI /
>> ImageIO / ImageIO-Ext then the udig project could make use of it
>> directly (rather than using its own JRE as is done currently). An easy
>> way to check would be to use the bundled JRE from the udig install
>> script (rather than the sun jre) and see all the applications still work.
>
>> The procedure to make one of these JRE+Extensions is here:
>> http://udig.refractions.net/confluence/display/ADMIN/JRE+for+Linux - I
>> can ask on udig-devel if they have made a script for this one yet.
>
>> Jody
>

> OSGeo-Live Java people,
>
> Does Jody's suggestion make sense for your project?
> Do you expect your project would work using UDig's custom java install?
> Would you anticipate we might run into any stability issues?
> Will this proposal help your project save any space?
> Any other thoughts?
> Please CC responses to live-demo at lists.osgeo.org

My understanding is that gvSIG requires Sun's version of Java.
Historically JAI was only used by Sextante but from my understanding
this is not a dependency with either package anymore.

I don't know how the live-demo cd is setup, but gvSIG can share a common
SunMicrosystem JRE VM simply by changing the startup script. The website
states the minimum requirement is Java Virtual Machine 1.5.0_12.

http://www.gvsig.org/web/projects/gvsig-desktop/official/gvsig-1.11/previous-requirements-1

The location of the startup script, gvSIG.sh, is ~/gvSIG_1.11/bin. Sorry
but I don't have a VM copy of the DVD to test any changes so you will
have to play with the file yourself or wait until Jorge and José come on
line later.

--
Cheers Simon

    Simon Cropper