[Live-demo] Re: Questions about gvsig, Java and OSGeo-Live

Jorge Gaspar Sanz Salinas jsanz at osgeo.org
Tue Aug 9 22:17:05 PDT 2011

2011/8/10 Simon Cropper <scropper at botanicusaustralia.com.au>:
> On 10/08/11 11:18, cameron.shorter at gmail.com wrote:
>>
>> Jorge, José, Simon,
>> Would you mind responding to this email on behalf of: gvsig
>>
>> On 10/08/11 09:28, Jody Garnett wrote:
>>>
>>> Cameron if you were able to ensure the Sun JRE used included JAI /
>>> ImageIO / ImageIO-Ext then the udig project could make use of it
>>> directly (rather than using its own JRE as is done currently). An easy
>>> way to check would be to use the bundled JRE from the udig install
>>> script (rather than the sun jre) and see all the applications still work.
>>
>>> The procedure to make one of these JRE+Extensions is here:
>>> http://udig.refractions.net/confluence/display/ADMIN/JRE+for+Linux - I
>>> can ask on udig-devel if they have made a script for this one yet.
>>
>>> Jody
>>

>> OSGeo-Live Java people,
>>
>> Does Jody's suggestion make sense for your project?
>> Do you expect your project would work using UDig's custom java install?
>> Would you anticipate we might run into any stability issues?
>> Will this proposal help your project save any space?
>> Any other thoughts?
>> Please CC responses to live-demo at lists.osgeo.org
>
> My understanding is that gvSIG requires Sun's version of Java. Historically
> JAI was only used by Sextante but from my understanding this is not a
> dependency with either package anymore.
>
> I don't know how the live-demo cd is setup, but gvSIG can share a common
> SunMicrosystem JRE VM simply by changing the startup script. The website
> states the minimum requirement is Java Virtual Machine 1.5.0_12.
>
> http://www.gvsig.org/web/projects/gvsig-desktop/official/gvsig-1.11/previous-requirements-1
>
> The location of the startup script, gvSIG.sh, is ~/gvSIG_1.11/bin. Sorry but
> I don't have a VM copy of the DVD to test any changes so you will have to
> play with the file yourself or wait until Jorge and José come on line later.
>
> --
> Cheers Simon
>
>   Simon Cropper
>   Principal Consultant
>   Botanicus Australia Pty Ltd
>   PO Box 160, Sunshine, VIC
>   W: www.botanicusaustralia.com.au

Well gvSIG is packaged on the DVD as a .deb and the Sun JRE OR OpenJDK
packages are dependencies so at this time is not possible to remove
them without breaking gvSIG package. Depending on an external java VM
from other source wouldn't be so good IMHO.

Probably it's possible to install the package forcing to not install
the dependencies (José Vicente?).

I understand that we have to save space but maybe is a better idea (as
a rule of thumb) to use official packages and improve other projects
to use it for example creating a .deb of JAI/JAI-IO in this case. It
would be easier to maintain for everyone, even I know it's not easy to
fulfil right now.

Regards
--
Jorge Sanz