[Live-demo] osgeo-live-5.0beta4-mini.iso : slightly too big ?

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 10 01:00:47 PDT 2011

Julien wrote:
> I was hoping to give a try to the latest osgeo-live
> development release (which embeds the latest version of our
> software) during a training course I give in 2 weeks.
>
> I have 25 4 GB USB sticks on which I planned to flash the
> osgeo-live-5.0beta4-mini.iso, and which will be given to the
> students.
>
> Unfortunately, their real capacity is 3976304 1-K blocs,
> while the iso is 4026296 1-K blocs large, and will therefore
> not fit into the sticks ...

thanks for defining the limit :)

> Is this the final size of the iso,

no

> or are there plans to reduce slightly the file size for next\
> beta (or final) release ?

we are working on that right now. the next beta build should be
quite a bit smaller, but probably not to the 3.2gb goal (yet).
I hope for at least 3.4-3.5gb, but 3.2gb would be ideal.

> Any idea on how I can reduce the file size (I need to free
> around 100  Mb) ? I tried to remove some docs in the
> osgelive-docs folder and run mkisofs again, but then the
> stick will not boot ...

try again for 5.0beta5 in a few days.

> I could use the 4.5 (which was 3.2 GB large) but then the
> software will be one year old ...

(6 months really)

actually as we haven't fixed the menus yet I would recommend to
give the students the finished 4.5 version.

cheers,
Hamish