[Live-demo] Re: Fwd: [OSGeo] #750: ushahidi doesn't connect to DB during quickstart setup

Henry Addo henry at ushahidi.com
Fri Aug 19 02:43:43 PDT 2011

Fixed the installer and updated the quickstart doc to accommodate failed
mysql database setup. I have the changes committed to the repo.

I tested the installer locally but pretty certain it will work on osgeolive
5.0. I'll download the mini iso over the weekend to play around with it.

Let me know if there is any other thing to do on my side.

On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 11:49 PM, Cameron Shorter <cameron.shorter at gmail.com
> wrote:

> **
> Henry, your proposal sounds good. Are you writing a fix? If so, when do you
> expect to have the fix committed?
>

> On 18/08/11 22:27, Henry Addo wrote:
>
> Thanks for the prompt response.
>
>  Maybe I can include the command to restart mysql server in the script
> like I have done for Apache?
>
>  and then update the quickstart about manual database restart/ or start
> when Ushahidi can't connect to the database server.
>
>  I have IRC client. I will get on it. Thanks for prompting me to it.
>
> On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 3:20 PM, Cameron Shorter <
> cameron.shorter at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>  Henry,
>> I'm just heading off to bed, but Brian (dbb) should be waking up soon and
>> will likely be able to help you. If you have irc, I suggest logging onto
>> irc://freenode.net#osgeolive
>>
>> I suspect the problem is that there is not a step in the Quickstart which
>> says: start the database using the following commands ...
>>
>> Quickstart is on the web here:
>>

>> http://adhoc.osgeo.osuosl.org/livedvd/docs/en/quickstart/ushahidi_quickstart.html
>>
>>  Source doc is here:
>> https://svn.osgeo.org/osgeo/livedvd/gisvm/trunk/doc/en/quickstart
>>

>> On 18/08/11 22:14, Henry Addo wrote:
>>
>> Hello Cameron,
>>
>>  If the credentials for the database server aren't correct, Ushahidi
>> won't be able to connect to it.
>>
>>  The installer creates these credentials for the mysql server
>>
>>  Database : ushahidi
>> username : user
>> password: user
>> host: localhost
>>
>>  Please confirm on the server if these credentials exist. If they do,
>> then there is something wrong somewhere because I gave the script a try on
>> my local server and I was able to install Ushahidi.
>>
>>  Regards,
>> Henry
>>
>>  P.S. I have a limited access to internet at the moment that is why it
>> takes a while for me to respond. I'll try my best to check my emails so we
>> can resolve this issue quickly.
>>
>>  On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 1:19 AM, Cameron Shorter <
>> cameron.shorter at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>  Henry,
>>> Are you receiving my emails?
>>>
>>> In the next few days, we only have time for one (maybe 2) builds left
>>> before we burn the final osgeo-live, and it seems that ushahidi will look to
>>> users like it doesn't work.
>>>
>>> Can you please:
>>> 1. Confirm that we have got hold of you.
>>> 2. Work with us to find a solution. Either by email, or by talking on