[Live-demo] osgeo live documentation as a booklet/handout

maning sambale emmanuel.sambale at gmail.com
Mon Dec 5 01:16:31 PST 2011

Excellent! I tried creating a pdf using rst2pdf.  This is the process:

# get rst docs from svn
svn co https://svn.osgeo.org/osgeo/livedvd/gisvm/trunk/doc/

# modified conf.py and added the following extensions
extensions = ['sphinx.ext.autodoc', 'sphinx.ext.doctest',
'sphinx.ext.intersphinx', 'sphinx.ext.todo', 'sphinx.ext.coverage',
'sphinx.ext.pngmath', 'sphinx.ext.ifconfig', 'rst2pdf.pdfbuilder']

# compile rst
sphinx-build -w error_log.txt -bpdf -a doc _build_pdf

I get the following errors (full log removed):
/home/maning/Desktop/osgeo_live_doc/doc/de/quickstart/gmt_quickstart.rst:5:
WARNING: Cannot extract compound bibliographic field "Copyright".
<snip>
/home/maning/Desktop/osgeo_live_doc/doc/de/overview/grass_overview.rst::
WARNING: document isn't included in any toctree
/home/maning/Desktop/osgeo_live_doc/doc/de/overview/gvsig_overview.rst::
WARNING: document isn't included in any toctree
/home/maning/Desktop/osgeo_live_doc/doc/de/overview/kosmo_overview.rst::
WARNING: document isn't included in any toctree
<snip>

/home/maning/Desktop/osgeo_live_doc/doc/translators.rst:: WARNING:
document isn't included in any toctree
WARNING: "pdf_documents" config value references unknown document contents

Any advice?

Ideally I want the following as pdf:
1.  Each project as a one page or 2.
2.  All URLs as plaintext.
3. Page size is half of A4 (8.3 by 5.8 inches portrait).

I can create a stylesheet for pdf printing.

On Mon, Dec 5, 2011 at 11:26 AM, Alex Mandel <tech_dev at wildintellect.com> wrote:
> On 12/04/2011 06:59 PM, maning sambale wrote:
>> Dear everyone,
>>
>> We are exploring the idea of creating a small booklet using the
>> materials from the OSGeo Live documentation similar to what OSGeo
>> Japan's FOSS4G Handbook [0].  We think that there is possible demand
>> for such printed material we can include when distributing the the
>> Live DVD here in the Philippines.  Before we do this, I want to ask if
>> there is a similar efforts already and perhaps we can collaborate in
>> re-formatting the documentation into a print ready format.
>>
>> [0] http://www.slideshare.net/Yoichi_gmf/foss4g/3
>>

> We've talked about this before and had it in mind when working on the
> documentation. It should be as simple as writing a different style sheet
> for sphinx and directing the output to a different format. I think
> sphinx has support for latex which can then be piped to pdf or something
> similar.
>
> We would be happy to host the style files in svn along with the web styles.
>
> Thanks,
> Alex

cheers,
maning