[Live-demo] Java apps: better get working on your OpenJDK port ...

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Thu Dec 22 00:43:51 PST 2011

I'm forwarding this email onto the OSGeo-Discuss list, as Hamish has
identified the high impact implications of Sun/Oracle licencing, which
seems to imply that most OSGeo java based projects will need to start
supporting OpenJDK if they wish to support most users on linux based
operating systems.

As outlined by Hamish below, the Sun/Oracle Java cannot legally be
installed using ubuntu installers - people will need to download from
the Oracle website instead.
We possibly could use Sun Java with the next, March 2012 based OSGeo 5.5
release (as we are basing upon the old Xubuntu 11.04), but we would
probably not be able to legally include any java based security updates.

For OSGeo-Live 6, for FOSS4G 2012 in Sept, we will likely only have the
option of using OpenJDK and not Sun-Java.

I'd like to hear advice from each Java based projects as to the
feasibility of migrating to OpenJDK, and what you recommend we do on the
OSGeo-Live project.

Please respond on the live-demo at lists.osgeo.org list.