[Live-demo] gdal overview - what image should we use? and review please.

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Sat Feb 5 03:27:08 PST 2011

I've written up an Overview for GDAL. I'm not very familiar with GDAL,
so would appreciate it if someone who has used GDAL could review my text
and confirm:
1. That what I've written is clear and understandable
2. Is technically accurate

I'd also appreciate suggestions regarding what image we should use to
accompany the text.
Can we think of something better than a screen grab of a command line
call of one of the gdal scripts?

  GDAL/OGR¶

    Transformation Library¶

Geospatial Data Abstraction Library (GDAL/OGR) provides command-line
utilities to translate and process a wide range of raster and vector
geospatial data formats.

The utilities are based upon a cross platform, C++ library, accessible
via numerous programming languages. As a library, it presents a single
abstract data model to the calling application for all supported formats.

GDAL/OGR is the most widely used geospatial data access library. It
provides the primary data access engine for many applications including
MapServer, GRASS, QGIS, and OpenEV. It is also utilized by packages such
as OSSIM, Cadcorp SIS, FME, Google Earth, VTP, Thuban, ILWIS, MapGuide
and ArcGIS.

      Core Features¶

    * Command-line utilities for data translation, image warping,
      subsetting, and various other common tasks
    * Highly efficiency raster data access, taking advantage of tiling
      and overviews
    * Support for large files - larger than 4GB
    * Library access from Python, Java, C#, Ruby, VB6 and Perl
    * Coordinate system engine built on PROJ.4 and OGC Well Known Text
      coordinate system descriptions

      Popular Supported Formats¶

GDAL supports over 50 raster formats, and OGR over 20 vector formats.

These include:

    * *Raster:* GeoTIFF, Erdas Imagine, SDTS, ESRI Grids, ECW, MrSID,
      JPEG2000, DTED, and more ...
    * *Vector:* MapInfo (tab and mid/mif), ESRI Shapefile, ESRI
      Coverages, ESRI Personal Geodatabase, DGN, GML, PostGIS, Oracle
      Spatial, and more ...

      Implemented Standards¶

The OGR vector data model closely aligned with OGC Simple Features.

      Details¶

*Website:* http://www.gdal.org

*Licence:* X/MIT style Open Source license
<http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/FAQGeneral#WhatlicensedoesGDALOGRuse>

*Software Version:* 1.7.2-4~lucid3

*Supported Platforms:* Windows, Linux, Mac

*API Interfaces:* Python, Java, C#, Ruby, VB6 and Perl

*Support:* http://www.osgeo.org/search_profile

Geospatial Director