[Live-demo] Barcelona.osm.bz2

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Tue Feb 8 11:24:01 PST 2011

On 06/02/11 20:34, Daniel Kastl wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> In install_osm.sh in line 136 sample OSM data is downloaded and saved
> as "Barcelona.osm.bz2".
> Every installed software can make use of it, so pgRouting does for
> example.
>
> My question is:
> Wouldn't it be a good idea to not call it "Barcelona.osm.bz2" but
> something more generic like "sampledata.osm.bz2"?
> Maybe not for this release, but probably for the next one for FOSS4G
> in Denver it might be renamed to "Denver.osm.bz2" and every software
> that makes use of the data has to make changes in the install scripts,
> manuals, etc..

Daniel,
Sorry for the delayed response.
This is a good question, and something we discussed at the time we wrote
this script.

What was decided at the time was that we would change the sample data
when we moved location, but we would also access the data via a symbolic
link.

You will notice that we also have the following line in the script:
ln -s /usr/local/share/osm/Barcelona.osm.bz2 /usr/local/share/data/osm

My one concern is that we need to be careful to ensure that any
applications which use OSM data in examples update their Area of
Interest when the sample dataset changes.

Geospatial Director