[Live-demo] Tools for education - eric

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Tue Feb 22 13:47:09 PST 2011

On 02/22/2011 01:38 PM, Pirmin Kalberer wrote:
> We hold workhops at the QGIS user meeting 2011, FOSSGIS 2011 and FOSS4G 2011
> using the OSGEO live DVD. We realized today, that an adequate development tool
> is missing. So I've added a new script install_edutools.sh installing eric. I
> know that we are very late in the publishing process of V4.5. That's the
> reason that I've commited before starting the discussion. I know that we could
> do an apt-get install for this, but this would use valuable memory. The
> additional packages have a download size of about 6 MB. For other development
> tasks the installed nedit package should be suitable.
> Pirmin

I actually prefer SPE over Eric primarily because SPE has true
auto-completion that works out of the box for gdal, qt, etc...

I'm not opposed to inclusion of such editors but are we opening the door
to a much larger issue when we start to ponder QT designer for QGIS
plugins, a C++ editor, a Java editor, etc. I think we should try to
define a clear line of what we plan to include and why for auxiliary
applications.

This discussion also came up before in the context of having Calc in
order to hand edit DBF files, so I can see more things here and there
addding quickly.