[Live-demo] How should we handle OSGeo-Live translations?

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Sun Feb 27 12:11:15 PST 2011

In order to meet our printing deadlines for March 2011 conferences, we
need to have all our documentation completely finalised by 7 March (in
one week).

Here is the current status, sourced from the translation status
spreadsheet [1]:

Directory      en    de    el     es    it     ja    ro    pl
Overviews    47    39    47    13    0    14    0    12
Quickstarts   45    3     37    3      0    0    0    5
Standards     12    11   12    11    0    0    0    0

As it stands, we have reasonably complete translations for Greek, and
only a few overviews missing for German. Spanish, Japanese and Polish
have a few translated docs. Some Overviews have been updated to the
latest doc version, others have not.

So what should our policy be for:
1. Languages that don't have a full set of translations of Overviews?
Should they be included, or should we wait until the following release
and wait for a more complete set of translations?

2. Docs which don't have a translation yet? Should we just redirect
links to the English equivalent doc? (That will be easy to set up).

3. Translated docs where there is a more recent English version available.
Usually the updated English is only minor since the last release, where
the version number has of the release has changed. (Identifying out of
date versions is more difficult and I don't think I'll be able to set it
up in time for this release).

I'd like to take guidance from each translation community, as you are
the people taking OSGeo-Live into your community. I'm looking for each
community to come to a statement along the lines of "For XXX language,
we would like to ..."

[1]
https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AlRFyY1XenjJdFRDbjFyWHg1MlNTRm10QXk0UWEzWlE&hl=en_GB&authkey=CPTB6uIE#gid=23

Geospatial Director