[Live-demo] How should we handle OSGeo-Live translations?

Astrid Emde astrid.emde at wheregroup.com
Sun Feb 27 13:05:37 PST 2011

Hello Cameron,

thanks for your statistics. I added statements for the german documents...

On Sun, February 27, 2011 8:11 pm, Cameron Shorter wrote:
> In order to meet our printing deadlines for March 2011 conferences, we
> need to have all our documentation completely finalised by 7 March (in one
> week).
>
> Here is the current status, sourced from the translation status
> spreadsheet [1]:
>
> Directory      en    de    el     es    it     ja    ro    pl
> Overviews    47    39    47    13    0    14    0    12
> Quickstarts   45    3     37    3      0    0    0    5
> Standards     12    11   12    11    0    0    0    0
>

> As it stands, we have reasonably complete translations for Greek, and
> only a few overviews missing for German. Spanish, Japanese and Polish have
> a few translated docs. Some Overviews have been updated to the latest doc
> version, others have not.
>
> So what should our policy be for:
> 1. Languages that don't have a full set of translations of Overviews?
> Should they be included, or should we wait until the following release
> and wait for a more complete set of translations?
>
> 2. Docs which don't have a translation yet? Should we just redirect
> links to the English equivalent doc? (That will be easy to set up).

for de: yes - please link to the english versioon if no german version is
present

> 3. Translated docs where there is a more recent English version
> available. Usually the updated English is only minor since the last
> release, where the version number has of the release has changed.
> (Identifying out of
> date versions is more difficult and I don't think I'll be able to set it up
> in time for this release).

for de: please refer to the german version. we will try in the next days
to find out which documents still rely on an older version and get it up
to date.

> I'd like to take guidance from each translation community, as you are
> the people taking OSGeo-Live into your community. I'm looking for each
> community to come to a statement along the lines of "For XXX language, we
> would like to ..."
>
> [1]
> https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AlRFyY1XenjJdFRDbjFyWHg1MlNTRm10Q
> Xk0UWEzWlE&hl=en_GB&authkey=CPTB6uIE#gid=23
>

> --
>

> Cameron Shorter
> Geospatial Director
> Tel: +61 (0)2 8570 5050