[Live-demo] How should we handle OSGeo-Live translations?

Angelos Tzotsos gcpp.kalxas at gmail.com
Mon Feb 28 10:54:06 PST 2011

Hello Cameron,

On behalf of the Greek translation team, I submit our common opinion bellow:

On 02/27/2011 10:11 PM, Cameron Shorter wrote:
> In order to meet our printing deadlines for March 2011 conferences, we
> need to have all our documentation completely finalised by 7 March (in
> one week).
>
> Here is the current status, sourced from the translation status
> spreadsheet [1]:
>
> Directory      en    de    el     es    it     ja    ro    pl
> Overviews    47    39    47    13    0    14    0    12
> Quickstarts   45    3     37    3      0    0    0    5
> Standards     12    11   12    11    0    0    0    0
>
> As it stands, we have reasonably complete translations for Greek, and
> only a few overviews missing for German. Spanish, Japanese and Polish
> have a few translated docs. Some Overviews have been updated to the
> latest doc version, others have not.
>
> So what should our policy be for:
> 1. Languages that don't have a full set of translations of Overviews?
> Should they be included, or should we wait until the following release
> and wait for a more complete set of translations?

1. EN, DE, EL are complete. The rest are up to their teams to decide.
But since this release is targeted more on Overviews, we feel that in
order for a translation project to make a difference in the release, it
should have more than half of the Overviews translated....

> 2. Docs which don't have a translation yet? Should we just redirect
> links to the English equivalent doc? (That will be easy to set up).

2. A link to the English version should be placed to the documents that
are not ready at the moment.

> 3. Translated docs where there is a more recent English version
> available.
> Usually the updated English is only minor since the last release,
> where the version number has of the release has changed. (Identifying
> out of date versions is more difficult and I don't think I'll be able
> to set it up in time for this release).

3. We made sure to have all Overviews updated (2 days ago) to the recent
English version. We believe that even if a translation doc is outdated,
it will catch up in time and should be included as is in the next
release. Perhaps in the next major version release (5.0), we could have
an early English document freeze (alpha 1?).

> I'd like to take guidance from each translation community, as you are
> the people taking OSGeo-Live into your community. I'm looking for each
> community to come to a statement along the lines of "For XXX language,
> we would like to ..."
>
> [1]
> https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AlRFyY1XenjJdFRDbjFyWHg1MlNTRm10QXk0UWEzWlE&hl=en_GB&authkey=CPTB6uIE#gid=23

Thank you.