[Live-demo] 4.5alpha1 Build has started

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 31 22:06:37 PST 2011

Alex wrote:
> I've started the build of the Alpha1.
> I actually have 2 builds racing each other on 2 servers.
> 1. is the same way we did the last few releases on a vmware
> box logged in to an xterm session on an install of Xubuntu.
> 2. is a chroot build on a 10.04 server
>
> ETA, tomorrow morning (~4-12 hours) since I probably won't
> be awake when they finish.
>
> Build #2 will likely crash and burn in several ways related to "user"
> not existing, no home directory etc. I will post in another
> thread about that since I want to pursue this method in order to start
> creating 100% automated builds that'll run faster.

fwiw I just posted some instructions for getting going with 'schroot'
earlier today. see:  https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/1272

probably part of the chroot bootstrapping would be setting up the 'user'
acc't, xfce4, etc. in an automated way? probably just a couple of lines
of commands.

> I'm thinking a branch may be in order in svn to accommodate this idea?

unneeded complication? why not just add a new script in bin/ called
bootstrap_chroot.sh or so and run/source from that instead?
i.e. if the changes needed don't run deep into the rest of the build
scripts (if we've been doing our job they shouldn't) how many parallel
versions of scripts will be needed? proceed as you see fit of course, but
if it were me I'd only worry about the branching if a whole bunch of files
needed incompatible changes. Even then, it's easy to add a shell environment
variable at the start of main.sh or somewhere to choose which path the rest
of the scripts will follow. (main.sh would only set that to a default value
if it wasn't already set by the user)

I believe there are git2svn scripts out there for merging back into the
mainline later, but I'm no expert on that.

trying to avoid fragmentation,
Hamish