[Live-demo] One week to update of OSGeo-Live English Overviews and Quickstarts

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Fri Jul 8 15:37:48 PDT 2011

Could all projects please ensure that their Project Overviews and
Quickstarts have been updated to reflect the current version and status,
and then that the Quickstarts have been run from start to finish inside
a recent release to ensure it works.

Once finished, update our status sheet. [1]

We'd like docs updated in time for translators by Monday 18 July 2011,
in a bit over a week. All docs and translations need to be complete by 8
August 2011.

    Project Overviews

For Project Overviews:

    * Ensure that the version is the same in the status sheet [1],
      installed application, and in English and translated Project
      Overviews [2]
    * If required, updated the feature list or text
    * Once complete update the status sheet [1] to "5.0draft" if you
      have updated text, or "5.0final" if you have only changed the
      version number.
    * I'll review all Overviews set to "5.0draft"

    Quickstarts

    * If required, update the Quickstart text, then set status in
      spreadsheet to "5.0draft"
    * Test that the quickstart works in a recent OSGeo-Live release, and
      if the Quickstart works as expected, update the "Tested by" column
      in the status sheet [1] to "5.0<yourname>". Report any errors to
      the application's developer and/or developer community and/or
      osgeo-live email list.
    * Have a independent person (not the quickstart author) also check
      the quickstart and add name to the "Tested by" column.

Note specific changes to location of documents and datasets on OSGeo-Live:

   1. OSGeo-Live docs are now visible on the DVD via
      http://localhost/en/index.html. Extra documentation or examples
      should be available via http://localhost/<application>/... and
      http://live.osgeo.org/<application>/... and referenced via a
      relative link. (Docs are installed into, or have a relative link
      into /var/www/)
   2. You may need to tweak bin/install_<application>.sh [3] scripts to
      ensure docs are available in the right place.
   3. Datasets are visible at http://localhost/data/<dataset>/ and
      available from the home directory at /home/user/data/<dataset>/.
      Datasets should be referenced to /home/user/<dataset>/... ideally
      with a relative link to the ../../data/<dataset> or similar.

I had been hopeful that I'd be able to provide comprehensive review of
all quickstart documents for this release, however I won't have time to
get through them all. If we have any good documentation writers who can
spare time to help review, I'd love to hear from you.

    Testers

 From now until OSGeo-Live release, we are going to need to do lots of
testing, and updating and tracking status, lots of minor tweaks, and
handling all the small issues which are so important for presenting a
quality product. In particular, we need a few people to run all
quickstarts and verify they work. If you can help with some of these
tasks, please let me know, and probably also speak up on the osgeo-live
list.

    Video of Quickstarts?

It would be excellent if we could produce a set of videos, which walk
through each of the quickstarts. This would be quite a bit of work, but
it would be hugely valuable. (50 projects, 5 to 10 minutes recording
time, maybe an hour post-processing and loading onto a website per
project, depending on the level of editing applied). Speak up if you
think you would be interested.

[1]
https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0Al9zh8DjmU_RdGIzd0VLLTBpQVJuNVlHMlBWSDhKLXc&hl=en_GB#gid=8
<https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0Al9zh8DjmU_RdGIzd0VLLTBpQVJuNVlHMlBWSDhKLXc&hl=en_GB#gid=8>