[Live-demo] Confirming that I am ok with proposed osgeo-live license for geonetwork

Simon.Pigot at csiro.au Simon.Pigot at csiro.au
Sun Jul 24 06:23:26 PDT 2011

I confirm that my past contributions to OSGeo-Live may be used under the current OSGeo-Live license guidelines.
I confirm that my future contributions will be compatible with the OSGeo-Live license guidelines at the time of contribution.

The current OSGeo-Live license guidelines are:
* Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License for Quickstarts
* Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License for Project Overviews
* A version of LGPL for install scripts
* One of the OSI approved Open Source licenses for installed applications

I have authored and also checked the contents of the OSGeo-Live Project Quickstart for geonetwork, and as far as I can tell, all source material can be legally included under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License because it incorporates content from the geonetwork user manual which currently is licensed under (Creative Commons license CC-By-SA) which, as explained by table here [3], is permitted to be included in CC-By-SA documentation.

[3] http://wiki.creativecommons.org/FAQ#If_I_use_a_Creative_Commons-licensed_work_to_create_a_new_work_.28ie_a_derivative_work_or_adaptation.29.2C_which_Creative_Commons_license_can_I_use_for_my_new_work.3F

The OSGeo-Live Project Overview incorporates content from the home page of http://geonetwork-opensource.org which is marked 'Copyright 2011, Open Source Geospatial Foundation'. I can't see a problem with that being used by the OSGeo-Live project in a CC-By license - if there is a problem ask the OSGeo Foundation?

Cheers,
Simon