[Live-demo] Nightly doc builds back online; further action on doc licenses needed

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Mon Jul 25 13:46:50 PDT 2011

On 25/07/11 21:08, Hamish wrote:
> Hi,
>
> the nightly doc build cron job is now an hourly cron job, and back up and
> running.
>
> there's a bug: the licenses.csv file is sourced before it is generated.
> it fails the first time,&  will grab an out of date version from then on.
>

> by the way, instead of publicly pledging anything, it would be *much*
> better if folks who are listed as authors just edited their quickstarts
> etc and expanded the license line in their .rst files as they see fit.
While I'm no fan of all the effort spent addressing licensing
discussions and requirements, we have followed the protocols of other
OSGeo projects going through incubation, which usually use a public
statement to an email list as a requirement to getting svn access.

>   No
> one else may change the copyright license line on their behalf!, so
> everyone must do that anyway, and should do that now.
I think that it is not as black and white as you may suggest. In many
cases there have been multiple authors for a document, and this is a
little messy to capture in svn logs, (although I know it is possible).
I would be more than happy for anyone to update the license statement in
the subversion.
However, I would also suggest that it should be ok for someone to change
the license for a doc if they reference a public email saying that the
author is ok with the license.

> (also I would suggest IMHO a separate license.html page is a waste of
> time, the doc license just needs to be at the bottom of each page and no
> more;

>   and I continue to be annoyed by seeing (c) Lisasoft at the bottom of
> pages whos contents are entirely authored by myself and solely (c) OSGeo.
Footer has been updated to be a "copyright" hyperlink which links to a
copyright page. The copyright page contains a table which lists all
documentation, the author(s) and licence(s), as extracted from the
metadata in the docs by bin/extract_licenses.sh

http://adhoc.osgeo.osuosl.org/livedvd/docs/en/copyright.html

Simon Cropper is reviewing for me at the moment, happy to hear comments
from others too.