[Live-demo] Last call for new projects wishing to be includedon OSGeo-Live

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 3 16:30:19 PDT 2011

Brian:
>   Please clarify the "packages only" policy for the next
> revision of the LiveDVD
> Specifically I am thinking of PostGIS 2.0, but other
> projects also

Core infrastructure packages (ie postgres, and for this project
postgis) must use distribution packaged versions (which for the
sake of argument UbuntuGIS counts as), or else everything that
depends on it also has to be rebuilt.

if a package can be made to work in parallel with its old version
(which I would advise takes a fair bit of auditing on the
proposer's part, as it is their duty to exhaustively test all
downstream effects of it too) then I would not call it verboten,
just ugly and confusing -- better to just ship one version of
any particular product and live with it.

 everything works >> shiny new version

fwiw postgres 9.0.4 + postgis 1.5.2 is available via backports.org
for debian/stable.

postgis 1.5.2 is the latest available from UbuntuGIS's ppa.

> I recall some disagreement about this policy in the past

the disagreement re unpackaged postgis in the past was not about
policy, it was about technicality: there were unresolved file
system conflicts between the two proposed versions. policy just
stated that the stable/provided/packaged version won out in that
case.

best,
Hamish