[Live-demo] Last call for new projects wishing to be includedon OSGeo-Live

maplabs at light42.com maplabs at light42.com
Fri Jun 3 16:54:39 PDT 2011

> > I recall some disagreement about this policy in the past
>
> the disagreement re unpackaged postgis in the past was not about
> policy, it was about technicality: there were unresolved file
> system conflicts between the two proposed versions. policy just
> stated that the stable/provided/packaged version won out in that
> case.

I am very familiar with the layout of PostGIS, and somewhat with PostgreSQL
(I say somewhat because it is a truly deep piece of work..)
there were not "unresolved file  system conflicts between the two
proposed versions"
however, I am not a lawyer, linux distribution architect, nor enemy

I am not eager to scrap over technicalities, so I bring this up now
better to hash it out well before any deadlines

there are a few goodies in PostGIS 2.0 that a lot of people will
benefit from seeing
once again, I suspect I will advocate for PostGIS 2.0 to be included
I suspect PostGIS will be finished before the deadlines, but not much before
I suspect that the packaging will not be ready in Ubuntu GIS

  best regards from California
   -Brian