[Live-demo] Last call for new projects wishing to be includedon OSGeo-Live

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Fri Jun 3 17:13:15 PDT 2011

On 06/03/2011 04:54 PM, maplabs at light42.com wrote:

>> > I recall some disagreement about this policy in the past
>>
>> the disagreement re unpackaged postgis in the past was not about
>> policy, it was about technicality: there were unresolved file
>> system conflicts between the two proposed versions. policy just
>> stated that the stable/provided/packaged version won out in that
>> case.
>>

> I am very familiar with the layout of PostGIS, and somewhat with PostgreSQL
> (I say somewhat because it is a truly deep piece of work..)
> there were not "unresolved file  system conflicts between the two
> proposed versions"
> however, I am not a lawyer, linux distribution architect, nor enemy
>
> I am not eager to scrap over technicalities, so I bring this up now
> better to hash it out well before any deadlines
>
> there are a few goodies in PostGIS 2.0 that a lot of people will benefit
> from seeing
> once again, I suspect I will advocate for PostGIS 2.0 to be included
> I suspect PostGIS will be finished before the deadlines, but not much
> before
> I suspect that the packaging will not be ready in Ubuntu GIS
>
>   best regards from California
>    -Brian

Does Postgis 2.0 require Postgres 9? Natty still has 8.4, it is possible
to backport 9.0 from Oneiric but that takes someone doing it and posting
it to ubuntugis.

I don't dispute the goodies for those in the know, but the more time we
spend custom tweaking each package the less we have to make the overall
experience better. So I'm going to stick to if it's ubuntugis or a
similar repo we'll take it, if it's source only just to get the newest
I'll pass till the next release. That is after all why we keep releasing
every 6 months.

There is a parallel theme here, my goal is put versions on the disc that
the average user can go out and install on their own. So the existence
of a deb package is the key to win me over.

We'll have to see how this one in particular plays out. If there's a
stable release by July I think it's possible.