[Live-demo] Adding tinyows to OSGEO-Live

Pirmin Kalberer pi_ml at sourcepole.com
Sun Jun 5 15:04:08 PDT 2011

Hi all,

I propose to add the great WFS-T server tinyows to OSGEO-Live.
QGIS can be used as frontend for the quickstart.

Regards,
Pirmin

        • Please describe your application.
                • What is its name?

TinyOWS

                • What is the home page URL?

tinyows.org

                • Which OSI approved Open Source Licence is used?

MIT

                • What does the application do and how does it add value to
the  GeoSpatial stack of software?

Fast and reliable WFS-T server

                • What language is it written in?

        • Stability is very important to us on OSGeo-Live. If a new user
finds a bug in one application, it will tarnish the reputation of all
other OSGeo-Live applications as well. Do you have a bug free, stable
release, which has been rolled out to production in a number of
locations? Please discuss the level of testing that your project has
gone through, the size of the community that uses the application, and
how long the project has had mature code.

1.0.0 will be the first mature release of TinyOWS to be that close to
this ideal.

        • OSGeo-Live is targeted at applications that people can use rather
than libraries. Does the application have a user interface (possibly a
command line interface) that a user can interact with?

No

        • We give preference to OSGeo Incubated Projects, or Projects which
are presented at FOSS4G conferences. If your project is involved in
OSGeo Incubation, or has been selected to be presented at FOSS4G, then
please mention it.

Olivier has submitted a presentation related to TinyOWS to FOSS4G 2011.
Dunno yet if it had been selected.

        • With around 50 applications installed on OSGeo-Live, us core
packagers do not have the time to liaise with every single project
email list for each OSGeo-Live release. So we require a volunteer (or
two) to take responsibility for liaising between OSGeo-Live and the
project's communities. This volunteer will be responsible for ensuring
the install scripts and English documentation are updated by someone
for each OSGeo-Live release. Also test that the installed application
and Quickstart documentation works as expected on release candidate
releases of OSGeo-Live. Who will act as the project's liaison person.

Pirmin Kalberer

        • OSGeo-Live is Ubuntu Linux based. Our installation preference is:

Install from UbuntuGIS

        • OSGeo-Live is memory and disk constrained. Can the application run
in 512 Meg of RAM?

Yes

        • How much disk space will be required to install the application and
a suitable example application?

less than 4M

        • We aim to reduce disk space by having all applications make use of
a common dataset. We encourage applications to make use of the example
datasets already installed:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Live_GIS_Add_Project#Example_Datasets If
another dataset would be more appropriate, please discuss here. Is it
appropriate, to remove existing demo datasets which may already be
included in the standard release.

Ok, could remove world and france shapefile and rewrite the test
config file (in custom script)

        • We include Windows and Mac installers for some applications. Would
you be wishing to include Windows and/or Mac installers?
Retrieved from "http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Live_GIS_Disc_Apply"

Could be nice too

--
Pirmin Kalberer
Sourcepole  -  Linux & Open Source Solutions